While I quite like the ‘new’ Photos interface as compared to Apple’s previous iPhoto, I was horrified to discover that it was no longer an option to directly export the photos to their individual albums but as ‘Moments’ instead. Thankfully a kind member has shared a technique to achieve this function that Apple has wilfully omitted.
- Launch ‘Script Editor’ application.
- Copy and paste the following into the editor;
- Rename USER to your Mac’s user directory name.
- Run the script.
- Select the albums you want to export and click OK.
- All the albums will be exported as folders to the Documents folder
set dest to "/Users/USER/Documents/" as POSIX file as text -- the destination folder (use a valid path)
tell application "Photos"
with timeout of 10000 seconds
repeat with i in albums
set tFolder to dest & (get name of i)
my makeFolder(tFolder) -- create a folder named (the name of this album) in dest
export (get media items of i) to (tFolder as alias) without using originals
do shell script "mkdir -p " & quoted form of POSIX path of tPath