POLICE NEWS RELEASE
COUPLE ARRESTED FOR CAUSING PUBLIC NUISANCE AT TOA PAYOH MARKET & HAWKER CENTRE
1. The Police have arrested a 46-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman for an offence of Public Nuisance.
2. On 23 April 2017, the Police received reports regarding a couple who had allegedly used offensive language and force against a 76-year-old man at Toa Payoh Lorong 8 Market & Hawker Centre.
3. Through follow-up investigations by officers from Tanglin Police Division, the couple’s identities were established and they were arrested on 25 April 2017. Police investigations are still ongoing.
4. Anyone convicted for the offence of Public Nuisance under Section 290 of the Penal Code may be punished with a fine which may extend to $1,000/-.
So that was a statement released by the Police shared with the media.
First, I’m glad that the couple was “caught in the act” for their actions but I’m actually horrified on how their identities were “CSI-ed” by our diligent Facebook/HWZ Singapore netizens and the Police intervening, arresting them for an offence of Public Nuisance.
While you may argue that the man in the video deserves to be arrested solely for his assault (too much?) on the elderly man, but what about the lady? Is it a crime just for being an inconsiderate bitch?
Let’s take a look at the penal code;
Punishment for public nuisance
290. Whoever commits a public nuisance in any case not otherwise punishable by this Code, shall be punished with fine which may extend to $1,000.
[Indian PC 1860, s. 290]
Well, so essentially, you can be arrested for whatever reason as long as your actions are deemed as a public nuisance.
Maybe, the Police can start arresting those “funny” local YouTubers who are pulling pranks and making “funny” videos along Orchard Road?2017-04-26